Recently a client bought a new domain name and wanted the existing WordPress site to change its domain to use the new one instead of the current one. After much research, I created and followed a plan for changing the URL of a WordPress website.
Here are the steps I followed (one.com is the existing domain and two.com is the new domain):
- Make sure the new domain is parked or pointing to default servers.
- There are a few methods to change the WordPress Site URL and Home settings, but I chose changing it via PhpMyAdmin.
- In the hosting, set the primary domain for the hosting to be two.com.
- Set up a 301 permanent redirect for one.com to point to two.com.
- Log in to the dashboard. Go to Permalinks and just Save/Update.
- The SSL certificate adjusted automatically.
A few plugins needed settings adjusted, but that was it!